Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Six weeks! Woot woot!

The first big milestone is here! Today we're I'm six weeks pregnant. Way to go, little embryo!

I've been freaking myself out verily with online message boards, about which I can only say one thing: Stay. The. Eff. AWAY. Yes, pregnancy and childbirth is a miracle, blah blah blah, but on some of those boards, you'd think it was a miracle tantamount to the parting of the Red Sea, rather than a miracle that is performed by millions of woman (and the occasional man) each year. I realize that miscarriage is a very real possibility, but wow. On those boards you'd truly think that mankind was destined for extinction. Case in point: I asked a question, and one person replied, "Well, I had a blighted ovum at six weeks and another time I went in for my ultrasound at 12 weeks and there was no heartbeat. So enjoy your pregnancy."

Um.

Thanks?

No, really - I get that it might happen. But as someone else so perfectly put it, "No matter how you look at it, YOU HAVE A MUCH BETTER CHANCE OF HAVING A HEALTHY PREGNANCY THAN MISCARRYING."

Duh! I had convinced myself that something going wrong was the norm and that I - nor anyone! - would ever be able to have a baby. But obviously that's not the case.

But regardless, the chance of anything happening does go down a bit at the six week mark, more at the 8 week mark, and becomes virtually nil at 12 weeks. So hitting six weeks was a huge relief, though I won't be full relieved, like....ever. Did you know at the end of this there's an actual tiny helpless PERSON that I am responsible for keeping alive for a minimum of eighteen years?? Yeah. It's true. Tell me again what I was thinking??

--L

No comments:

Post a Comment